Council 788 - Club closed for the Week of March 16th
Mon, Mar 16, 2020 7:30 PM
Columbus Hall at 5300 N. Grand River Avenue will be closed and all events are cancelled the week of March 16, 2020. Business will resume when emergency restrictions on public gatherings are lifted. Updates will be provided on our business line at 517-321-2209.
Council 11957 - Council #11957 March News
Sat, Mar 14, 2020 7:30 PM
1. 1. Our Council has been approved by Kroger to conduct an MI Drive at the store on 23 Mile Rd. and Hayes on March 27, 28 & 29, 2020. Hours of the drive will be from 9:00am to 5:00pm. Volunteers are needed to help work this drive. If you are available on these days and would like to help, please contact Tom VanSlembrouck or Rick Fisher. Note: This event has been cancelled.
2. 2. There will be no more Pancake Breakfast until September of this year and, as everyone has probably heard, the Fish Frys have been cancelled until further notice.
3. 3. Each Council is required to keep track of the number of hours it’s Brothers spend volunteering at Church and Council functions. Examples of these are working the Pancake Breakfast, MI Drive or Fish Fry and working as an Usher, Eucharistic Minister, or Lector. The Council must report these hours and receives funding from the State Council based on these hours. Going forward, there will be a sign-up sheet at the monthly meetings for the Brothers to summarize the hours they worked during the past month. Please be sure to fill this out each month.
4. 4. There was funding left in the Lottery account which has been discontinued. This funding has been applied to the MI Drive account. Checks were delivered last month to several organizations/schools that our Council supports. All were very appreciative of our help.
5. 5. The Officers are looking at moving our monthly meeting from Monday evening to another day of the week. Msgr., Kasza, our Chaplin, has many other commitments on Monday evenings and finds it difficult to attend the meetings and show his support. Our next meeting will be Monday, April 6, 2020 at 7:30 pm.
6. 6. On March 22, 2020, after the 11:45am Mass at St. Therese of Lisieux, there will be an Exemplification Ceremony for those men who wish to become a new knight and those current knights who wish to advance to the 3rd Degree. There are currently five candidates for this ceremony. If you have not signed up and would like to participate, please contact Rick Fisher. The new Exemplification Ceremony will be conducted by Brothers from our Council. All Brothers are invited to attend the ceremony and the light lunch that will follow. Note: This event has been cancelled.
7. 7. On March 7, 2020 a Fourth Degree Exemplification Ceremony was held at DeCarlo’s Banquet Center in Warren, MI. Two Brothers from our Council, Hank Losinski and Paul Bieber, were knighted at this event along with sixty-three other Brothers from Michigan. Father Tom Sutherland was one of the featured speakers at the dinner that followed the ceremony. A PowerPoint presentation with pictures can be viewed by clicking the link at the end of this article.
8. 8. At the Exemplification Dinner, Bill Chasse, our State Deputy, mentioned that the Michigan is ranked as #2 in the Nation for the recruitment of Knights and is in the top ten in the world. He complimented the Councils on the great job they have done and warned against thinking the job is done. There is still four more months of recruiting to be done before the end of the fiscal year.
9. 9. Consumer Power has instituted a program with St. Therese of Lisieux where parishioners can sign up with them for a free energy analysis. Consumers will come into your home, perform an energy analysis and install energy saving devices at no cost. If (250) households sign up for this program, they will award St. Therese $5,000. You must sign up by March 31, 2020. Please see the Parish Bulletin or website for more details.
1 10. A motion was made, and passed, at the March meeting to rename the Council’s Family of the Year and Knight of the Year Awards the “Steven A. Wright Memorial Family (or Knight) of the Year Award”.
Fourth Degree Exemplification March 7, 2020
Council 788 - Monday Night Build-a-Burger
Sun, Mar 8, 2020 3:30 AM
Come out to the club on Monday March 9th from 5:00 - 7:00 pm for a freshly made burger with fries for only $6. This event is open to the public so bring some friends down to the Columbus Hall, at 5300 N Grand River Avenue, and enjoy a burger at the club.